Saturday, January 31, 2015

1/2A Country Boy completion

The National Free Flight Society (NFFS) and Bill Vanderbeek sponsor a One-Design event at the NATS each year. In 2010 the chosen model was the Jim Clem-designed Country Boy, in 1/2A size. With the intent of competing, I built one from a BMJR Models kit and finished it to the point of needing only a few small items to be flight ready. Ultimately I did not compete in FF that year (nor yet, for those keeping track) and the model languished until I dragged it out of storage last week. Having survived several house moves without more than a few dents and scrapes I set about finishing it and will have a go in 1/2A Classic Gas at this year's NATS.

For no particular reason I did a Google image search for 'Jim Clem Country Boy', and the second row of results contained the below image of my daughter Amelia with the framed model. I was pretty shocked, and pleasantly surprised. She would have been around 5 years old here, she's now 10 going on 11.



The first thing I did was finish the dethermaliser (DT) system. This uses a viscous timer with a 'rat trap' force multiplier to retain the stabiliser. I had not installed a tension spring to drive the timer so wound one from .010" music wire and after testing the run time to determine the location and tension, screwed it in place. I also had not installed a stop for the DT line, this was made from a piece of aluminium tube and attached to the fuselage side in the appropriate place to give 45 degrees of stabilizer deflection. A small piece of silicone fuel tubing serves as a shock absorber. In this image that tubing is not yet in place but it can be seen in the last photo. The larger spring is .020" music wire and provides tension to hold the stabiliser down.



Then on to the fuel system. I'm using a latex bladder and filling will be via a check valve in the aft end. All these components come from Texas Timers, as does the engine timer. To complete the engine side of things I am only short a spinner nut which is coming from Bob Mattes. This will center the prop on the shaft and also provide a little nose weight.



Last was to index the wing and stabilizer to the fuselage. I used small basswood blocks for this, installing them permanently after measuring to center the wing and stab on the fuselage.

I'll probably rig some kind of quick DT for the first flights but otherwise it's ready to go. When the weather warms a little I'll take it out and see how it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment