Sunday, March 1, 2015

B Nos Dixielander

Next on the build list is a Dixielander for B Nos Gas. This is another model that I started some years ago, the stabilizer and fuselage are framed. Now that the OS 29 is back in hand the front end of the fuse can be completed. I was fairly certain I had cut a full set of ribs for this model but discovered this was not the case, the ribs I remember having are for a smaller A Gas version. Fortunately I had previously decided on spar sizes and cut a ply rib template, so slicing some ribs will not be too large a task. Here are the first 8 cut from 3/32" balsa, I think another 19 are needed.



For the uninitiated (which includes the writer), B Nos Gas refers to the size and class of model. "B" being engine sizes in the range of .20 to .30 cubic inches. "Nos" refers to Nostalgia, which if I understand correctly includes all models for which plans or kits were available during the years 1943 through 1956. Some models kitted after '56 are also approved. "Gas" refers to the fuel source, originally being gasoline. The engines I have run on alcohol (methanol) which is not typically referred to as "gas" other than in this case. Gasoline-burning engines are still used in some classes but they are the minority. Here's another shot of the OS .29, showing the new cylinder head and next to it the original finned head. Engine run times are so short that no cooling fins are needed.



A shot of Dixielander designer George Fuller with a stock Dixie of 50-inch span.



No comments:

Post a Comment