Tuesday, March 3, 2015

P-30

So slight change of plan, I was all fired up to jump into the B Dixie build but then realized I don't need it yet. Yet is relative, because I would still like to have it for the NATS in July. To back up a little, my plan is to compete over three days; Wednesday through Friday and enter three events each of those days. B Nos Gas is on Wednesday along with 1/2A Classic Gas and E-36, for both which classes I have completed models. I also have two models completed for Thursday's events, but none for Friday. So my efforts would be best directed towards getting two models finished for two of Friday's three chosen events, then adding a third to each day as time permits. It's a lofty goal, but ensures I will have a fair chance of competing in two classes per day. Considering that in some classes I may be a spectator after three official flights, having more than one model will extend my flying somewhat.

The three events I've chosen for Friday are P-30, Early 1/2A Nos Gas and 1/4A Nos Gas. P-30 is a rubber-powered event and I have a Perky 30 from StarLink FliteTech. I've had a Polecat Mk.X short kit here for several years (sound familiar?) but in the interest of expediency chose to buy an ARF model from SLFT. The Polecat is a proven winner in the hands of designer Don Deloach and others, and I am quite capable of building it but time is of the essence. The Perky will do fine for my first time out and I can have it flight ready in a matter of days rather than the weeks or months it would likely take me to complete the Polecat. Here's the model assembled as received:




Bob White's Mini TwinFin is the basis of the Perky 30, it being a European-built ARF version. The construction is excellent, everything light and clean and the covering is also top notch. With very little work it can be made flyable though is lacking a dethermalizer (DT) system, essential for any serious flying. It appears to be set up for a fuse-based popup stab, but I will fix the stab and use a popoff wing system. Two reasons for this, the Perky has fins on the stab tips and having the stab more permanently mounted will hopefully greatly reduce any trim variations related to a less than perfect popup stab mechanism. The other reason is that in a strong thermal the stab alone may not be enough to DT the model. The popoff wing will completely detach and trail the model during the descent, one wing tip being connected to the rear of the fuselage by a Dacron line. I'll use a viscous timer and copy the hold-down method from the Polecat.


5 comments:

  1. Great post. I'm very happy that you are ambitious and are going to compete in several events at the Nats. I am requesting video of the popoff wing system! It is hard for me to visualize what you mean. Will the wing be hanging on to the fuselage?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craig, Love the blog but had a little problem getting the post to "work". One of these attempts will happen and I'll know the trick!
    Barn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super! I had to post as "anonymous" for the post to work, ...and had to identify photos of specific items to prove I wasn't a "robot"!
    Photos and build quality look excellent! Rich MacCleery tld me that he did in fact run into you at the NATS! Goodeal mate! BTW, I sent Rich a link to this blogspot. Typical free-flight guy, looks at everybody's builds!
    See you at The Bruce or before!
    Barn
    Keep posting and we'll keep lookin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Craig:
    I’m new to working with blogs so please forgive my mistakes. I enjoyed you article on the “Perky P30 / Mini Twin Fin / Bob White designs. I was in touch with Michael at FliteTech, he said that the Perky / Mini Twin Fin was no longer available, but he had a partial kit he could sell me, which I purchased. Any chance that you know of a RTF or NARTF? ( I’m not sure what NARTF stands for but was on the SLFT website. Would a European dealer that you know would have one? Any help would be appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Jon B. Shereshaw
    66 Main Street, Unit 3
    Box 37
    Peapack, New Jersey 07977
    USA
    Telephone: 908-801-8817
    Email: jonb1999@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete